This morning we received a phone call from Fletcher Allen Health Care - the teaching hospital for UVM College of Medicine. They had finished reviewing the files and interviews and wished to extend Ian the position in the ICU!!! In other words, I get to start my medical career in beautiful Burlington while Ian gets to start his nursing career in such a challenging, amazingly cool environment. All signs pointing to Vermont :)
This past weekend, to clear my head and de-stress from what was basically an accumulation of a year's worth of emotional rollercoaster through this crazy application process, Ian and I headed out to the Columbia River Gorge (stopping at Mt. Saint Helens first). We had a pretty amazing time hiking this incredible glacial-carved gorge on both the Washington and Oregon sides.
At the cute tea parlour we stopped at (you'll see it in the video), I even met another girl who was a college of medicine class of 2018 new admit. We congratulated each other, and talked about how crazy this whole process had been. She was accepted to Univ of Arizona, Tucson School of Medicine when I had not even received an interview invitation from either Tucson or Phoenix campuses. She wasn't even interviewed by Univ of Vermont while I had the opportunity. Likewise, her friend also had the experience of double interviewing at Univ of Washington like I did, only to receive a denial. "It's really just a crapshoot" she said - and I agree. At some point, unless you're an elite applicant, everyone is narrowed down to a small pool and everyone is amazingly qualified.
Anyhow, here's the fun video of our gorgeous trip these past few days. A much needed break.
Spent the last couple days hiking around Mt. Saint Helens and the beautiful Columbia River Gorge (both the Washington and Oregon sides). Check it out! Click the expansion arrows for full screen. Click the expansion arrows to make it full-screen :)
Congratulations!! And, small world, but my friend Taylor is also starting med school at UVM in the fall!
ReplyDelete