The UW SOM is the only medical school for a 5-state region (Washington, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Alaska). Compared to other schools in the country, it is quite affordable. As a result, there are TONS of people from this WWAMI region who are applying to the program that are well qualified at other medical schools but who simply choose not to go because of family obligations, financial limitations, etc. What happens is they have a ton of re-applicants and accept these individuals the second time around or so. This favorable opinion of reapplicants ("look at the dedication and commitment you have for medicine/our school if you spent a whole year to go through the same process") was confirmed by people I know in medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy. And I know it's not the case for just UW too - it happens everywhere across the country. It's simply a numbers game and there are just physically not enough places in schools everywhere. Long story short, I'm refreshed for my Univ of Vermont interview next week having really come to terms with this initial disappointment. I chatted with a classmate who graduated from a top-10 law school and unsuccessfully applied to UW dentistry, and she and I had the same story. She asked me "Not in an arrogant way, but this is the first time you've really tried for something and haven't gotten it, isn't it?" And yes, that's quite true. No "upward trending GPA" for me because it was always solid from the start. No test and retest for the MCAT because my score was pretty solid the first time around self-studying for the exam. Working directly in healthcare for three years, neuroimmunology research background, physician shadowing, fun unique extracurriculars, and getting along well during the interview. Even if all the boxes are checked, it's still just a numbers game and there's nothing for me to do but to play it. But it's not over yet, and I'm not giving up no matter the result of the Univ of Vermont interview. I told myself, if it takes me one extra year or even two to achieve my dream of studying medicine, 20 years from now I won't be looking back and saying that I wasted my life. I am really starting to believe that.
Ian has been extremely supportive and said "Let's at least do some fun stuff out there, so no matter the result of the UVM decision, we won't feel like we flew out there just for no reason". Plus, it's fun to be out here in Vermont in the winter since I had the chance to experience the beautiful summer with everyone at Ian's family's property in Lake Mansfield (see last summer's post: http://drizzlemegreen.blogspot.com/2013/07/vermont-lake-mansfield-trout-club.html)
After jetting out from Seattle to Newark and transferring to a small propeller plane, we arrive in cute little Burlington Airport which has rocking chairs for passengers to watch planes taking off from the runway. "Cute, quaint Vermont" as soon as I step off the plane.
Ice scraper and brush included with the rental car. Makes sense.
We arrived at our hosts' place just up a dirt road from Richmond, VT (Between Burlington and Waterbury). 4 acre organic farm - super cool young couple J. and H.
Wood shed
They always say Vermont spring is a muddy time of year. Looking at all the cars around town I can definitely confirm ... ice melting and lots of dirt roads make for mud
My favorite ever!!!! I loooove wood stoves. So cozy and warm in our little place
Living room of J. and H.'s home
Tired from our flight, for dinner we decided to head out to Waterbury just 10 minutes down the road for a hearty BBQ meal at Prohibition Pig. Ian tried their house brew
We called it an early night and slipped into the comfy warm bed.The next morning....
View out of our bedroom
Walked over to the chicken coop with H. to feed them
Abandoned bee hive in the tree above the chicken coop ... so cool!
About 50 chickens and two or three ducks
Duck egg (right) and beautiful pale blue chicken egg (left). H tells me that they get about 24 eggs per day!
These huge jars have sauerkraut and pickled garlic that they are fermenting
J made us a breakfast of eggs from the coop, grated potato hash, and pork sausage with fennel which came from pigs they raised earlier in the year. It was the most delicious sausage I've had.
J also owns a hot sauce company
Getting fitted .. this guy helping us is in the physical therapy program at UVM and said he might see me around campus when I'm at my interview on Tuesday.
Ian getting set
Hand lift to the top
Here we go, at the top of the bunny hill for my very first run
Inside the little chalet for a break of coffee and grilled cheese made with Vermont cheddar
By the end of the day I was comfortably stopping and cutting my way down the second run which was decently step!
After skiing, we headed out to Stowe. I had my first taste of this cute town when visiting Ian's family's lake house nearby.
I definitely remember this shop!
We are gonna go maple sugaring tomorrow!
Awesome stove!
inside the Stowe Mercantile ... hey! It's our host J.'s hot sauce!
Stopped by the Harvest Market (still in Stowe) for a little après-ski snack
Yes, those are the ovens that the bread is baked in!
My small piece of pâté, a cheesy bread twist, coffee cake, ginger beer, and coffee
Beautiful covered bridges in Vermont
Love the contrast of the bright lit buildings and the super dark sky
Cochran's sticker added to my water bottle! I survived skiing. Damn my legs and ass are going to be sore tomorrow ...
Tonight: cozy by the wood stove fire, having a dinner of steak tartare (meat from a neighbor's farm) and freshly made potato wedges, and maybe some biochemistry final studying.
If there's one thing I really like about Vermont, it's how you are able to experience a really beautiful and quaint rural environment, but without the really conservative element that is usually present in places that are this rural in the rest of the country. Vermont was one of the leading states in same sex marriage equality, is moving towards a single-payer healthcare model, and supports local farming and environmental protection. Everyone is so friendly ... I've never seen so many people having nice conversations with their neighbor on the plane and I was offered a brief ski lesson today on the hill by a random lady. I'm really glad we are spending an extended amount of time here before my interview so I can really get a feel for Vermont. So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing. Only interesting thing ... it's pretty "white" up here! Really different from anywhere else I've lived. Finally, despite feet of snow, it's actually not that cold. Seattle winter temps, basically. I expected feeling like I'd freeze to the bone. Maybe it's my extra layers and anticipating that cold that makes it seem less cold.
Time for the tartare dinner! Looking forward to tomorrow's outing on the hunt for maple syrup












































No comments:
Post a Comment