Search This Blog

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Tohoku, the Beautiful North

Growing up, we visited Japan at least every other year to see family. While part of the trip was always spent in the incredible cities like Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto, my heart lies in the beautiful north of Japan ... a side of the country few truly get to experience. It's the least populated region where life takes on a different pace ... where the rugged coastline and mountains sit side by side. It's also the region that was hit hardest by the March 2011 magnitude 9.0 earthquake and subsequent tsunami. I've always visited in the summer, but this was my first time in the winter. We blasted off to the north in the new E5 Hayabusa shinkansen bullet train, across the snow-covered rice fields. Grandparents are still doing well, and were very happy to see us. Then, in Hanamaki, we stayed at the onsen (hot spring). Soaking in the stone hot springs while the snow fell on my head was an unbelievably picture-perfect moment.

Sit back, relax with a cup of tea, and enjoy the movie I made of our trip!
Tohoku, The Beautiful North from Michael on Vimeo.
http://vimeo.com/user15495540/httpvimeocommkotohokuwinter

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Once again, I am jealous of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the views of the North. And love the music. Nice video production.

    I read an editorial today in NY Times that stressed the value of recording voices of people we want to recall. Thought of your grandparents. It is true we seldom do sound recordings even though we can.

    It started snowing here at 8:30 am on Christmas! It was a wonderful surprise to have a snowy day. By the 26th it melted.

    Before I forget, I hope the photo company put the wire on the photo correctly. It should hang so that bottom of leaf is at bottom

    ReplyDelete