Search This Blog

Friday, November 23, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's Fall, the days are growing shorter and up here in the Northwest that means the sun starts to go down around 4:30pm. I've forgotten what this feels like! In the summer, of course, the opposite is true ... I'll be looking forward to days lasting until 10:30pm. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the winter season rains ...

Before I delve into Thanksgiving goodness, I thought you might enjoy a nice soundtrack to the pictures of food! Here's another great artist I found recently. Press "play" and continue reading :)




Thanksgiving this year was just Anne, Ian, and I but we nevertheless decided to go all-out. Stocked up on all the best stuff from Central Market. Our feature bird this year? Roasted soy sauce and orange glazed duck!

Starting on my toasted walnut and mushroom pâté ... sautéed shallots and garlic, then adding 1 pound of crimini mushrooms, and then adding some dried mushrooms rehydrated with boiling water (including the water), zest of a Buddha's Hand citrus, celtic sea salt, red wine, and toasted walnuts.

 This is Buddha's Hand citrus. So fragrant! Used the zest for the mushroom mixture

After chilling a couple of hours, it's done! So simple and incredibly delicious. Way better (at least, in my opinion) than a really heavy liver pâté.

 Starting to roast our duck ... scored the skin and poked it all over to let the fat drain out during roasting.

Ian starting to work on his stuffing with turkey sausage, rainier cherries, almonds, and herbs.

 Anne's cat Max is sleeping on the heat vent to stay warm :)


Espresso covered cheese for our appetizer cheese plate 

Like my freshly carved pumpkin lantern for the table? 

Ian and Anne busy in the kitchen whipping up all the other stuff ... I'm now just waiting on my roasting duck 

The splendid table slowly coming together

After 4 hours of very slow roasting ...

Now I glaze with my mixture of molasses, soy sauce, orange juice, and sriracha chili paste. Blast in the oven to really bake the glaze on.

Saved the duck fat and drippings for Ian to make gravy

Ian's amazing stuffing and gravy

 Anne's fancy salad

Anne's scalloped potatoes

Kabocha squash

Anne also made some homemade fresh rosemary rolls 

4.5 hours later, DUCK IS FINISHED!!!


Don't mind me! 

And for dessert .. Anne's cranberry-pear pie with a vodka crust. Yummm

 Gombu relaxing after dinner

Max has the right idea ...

No comments:

Post a Comment