Left the flat country canals of the Netherlands and the industrial area around Köln to wind through the quiet mountains and streams of the beautiful Mosel river. This river runs well into France as well, where it is called the Moselle. It's an absolutely picturesque region with the Mosel (a smaller river off of the Rhine) running through the hills covered with vineyards and small towns with hilltop castles. Our inn is in one such town called Cochem - there's a beautiful castle overlooking the town and a winery/vineyard just behind our inn.
I've never seen pillows fluffed and set upright ... so cute!
The "busy" main street in town below our inn
This is Cochem! Mosel river running through with the castle overlooking the town and vineyards all over the hills
This region is best known for its Riesling white wines: from Trocken (dry) to halbtrocken (half-dry) to sweet. We had a tasting and ended up buying one of the sweet ones. Even if I don't drink, I love going to these places and walking amongst the vines. As the vineyard runs up the steep sides of the river, you can hike up and absorb the breathtaking view.
Right behind our inn... vineyards up the hill
Cheap and delicious
The town is so quaint and we were able to visit one of the last remaining traditional mustard mills (senfmülle) left in Europe. We shared a brockwurst with traditional milled mustard as a delicious afternoon snack.
across the bridge to the mustard mill!
Mustard mill from 1800
Yes, those are grape vines growing on EVERY hill!
Jam made from the famous roter weinbergspfirsich peach
store selling all kinds of homemade liqueurs, vinegars, and oils
The famous roter weinbergspfirsich liqueur
Post box .. uncle pat, this one's for you!
Cochem castle with grape vines surrounding
And a nice little afternoon hike up the vineyard path behind the inn ...
Beautiful Cochem
walking through moselkern to get to the forest
cutest "watch out for children" sign i've ever seen
walk along the river and through the forest for an hour...
Tomorrow we head to Strasbourg - finally going to be in France! I'm looking forward to finally being somewhere where I can communicate comfortably enough. It's been fun visiting so many places and experiencing so many languages, and I definitely have an understanding of what it feels like to be somplace and not speak the language well. But the help and warmth that was extended to us as tourists is something that I will always remember, and I hope to extend this back to others in my own future. I'm also done with laughing a little at people who don't speak a language perfectly (yes, we all do this and I am admitting it) because god knows how many of us can actually speak multiple languages perfectly. People have been so patient with our mistakes and fumbling. It's like back in Vienna: the waiter at our Vietnamese restaurant spoke German, English, Cantonese, and Vietnamese. Even with a super strong accent - it's quite the accomplishment.



















































OOOO Can't wait to read your posts about Strasbourg. It's bound to bring back a lot of memories for me! :)
ReplyDelete