In any event, I've begun to train as one of the pediatric intravenous admixture pharm techs at work, and I'm really enjoying it. There are lots of calculations involved (reconstituting to stock concentrations, making dilutions, small and weird doses, etc), but it's fun and engaging. I've also been filling in as one of the pediatric overnight technicians so I've been trying out the graveyard shift schedule. Two nights done so far, two more to go. I'm finding that the graveyard shift really suits my schedule ... I've always been a late night person, so to be able to simply stay up until early morning is no problem. However, try to get me to sleep early and wake up for the morning shift and you're asking for it!
Due to my work schedule calming down a bit, I've also been able to start orchestra again and play with the Bay Area Rainbow Symphony for this set. Our concert will be in November and will include an organ concerto, so I'm looking forward to it. With the addition of San Francisco State University orchestra students, our symphony is much larger for this set ... 5 double bass players, huge violin sections, etc. I guess the Beethoven Symphony No 7 will now have the full sound it needs.
A while back, Ian received his acceptance letter from University of Sydney's nursing program. We were so excited! Now, he is also putting together an application for Johns Hokpins school of nursing as well ... it would be a 13 month accelerated program. As far as me, I've considered pharmacy school for so long and think that clinical pharmacy is a really interesting career. However, I think I'm starting to revert back to considering application for medical school instead. At the end of the day, the versatility and applicability of an MD (an MBBS in British commonwealth countries) internationally is better, and you get to call the shots. In the meantime, our plan is for me to work while Ian finishes up school, and then he'll work while I'm in school. It'll give us a good financial security and stability rather than simply taking out extra student loans for living costs, especially since I'm in no particular rush to start school again.
Anyhow, a few random things over the past month: our friend Pedro visiting us for a few days, new tea finds, weather warmed up a bit (but now starting to cool down again ... San Francisco's year-round temperature really only varies about 10 degrees!), and we celebrated Chinese moon festival on Twin Peaks overlooking the city.
First up ... my latest tea find. A pu-erh called "camel's breath" from Silk Road Teas (formerly owned by David Lee Hoffman who sold SRT and started his own new, exclusive tea collection called "The Phoenix Collection" from which I purchased mom's bamboo stalk pu erh for mother's day).
The tea brews into a very clear liquor which, for some reason, I didn't necessarily expect. Leaves in the pu erh tuocha are quite small. Despite a very pungent-sounding name (camel's breath), the taste and smell are pretty much like a normal "ripe" (shou) pu erh - actually, maybe even milder than some other pu erhs I have. However, this one tastes quite dry which is really interesting. As the name would suggest, the dryness really makes me think of the desert.
On the night of the Chinese moon festival, Ian picked me up from work and we drove to the top of Twin Peaks to eat moon cake and look out over the city and stare at the big moon
My favorite little windmill in Golden Gate Park on a clear afternoon
Blueberry pancakes that Ian made for me when I got home after my first graveyard shift :-)
Anyhow, I would normally go to bed about now, but I'm actually trying to maintain my graveyard sleep schedule since I have two more days to go.
I guess it's always tea time around here, so excuse me while I make another cuppa'





No comments:
Post a Comment