Just because I live on a boat doesn't mean my newly-acquired culinary skills should just be put on hold, right? And who says just because my kitchen isn't the size of a studio apartment that I can't use fresh, healthy ingredients to make from-scratch meals? I will prove how not having a huge oven and four burner stove doesn't mean I have to live on instant ramen!
I'm making a commitment to learn how to whip up some good meals with simple ingredients and without using a million pots and pans (since water and space are limited ... making a mess is a no-no in such a small space with limited resources).
Our first week on the boat, I made a couple soups in the crockpot. Auntie Yee Yee's homemade won tons and dan jiao jie added a nice touch to my vegetable soups, giving them more substance and fit for a hearty meal. We've also ordered delivery to the marina a couple times, but I'm going to be more proactive with getting back up to speed in the galley.
Anyhow, we took out the propane tank from the boat the other day. Although propane is wonderful for cooking (and we even have a propane stove inside), it's not the safest unless you install a propane locker (basically an airtight cube to hold the tank). The salt water from the air can corrode the tank, leaking the propane, and any spark could mean an explosion. Propane is also heavier than air, meaning any leaking gas fumes will actually sink deeper into the boat, rather than float up and out into the air. As a safety precaution, we've taken propane off of the ship.
I'm still left with a rice cooker, crockpot, toaster oven, and microwave until I save up the money to buy an electric burner to replace the propane one. Life has been good with these small appliances so far, and meals have been warm and filling.
I just got back from my bike ride to Trader Joe's. My plan for the next couple meals?
On the menu:
Thai red curry with veggies and rice
Lentils and baby spinach simmered in coconut milk
Fancy Salad (salad greens + pomegranate seeds and kiwi slices, with sesame dressing)
17 bean soup with vegetables
Brown sugar and maple syrup oatmeal for breakfast (I fought the urge to buy the danish pancakes .. for now at least!)
And how much did all this cost? Just $20! I feel like hitting my head against the wall everytime I compare the cost of one dinner out with the fact that I just essentially bought 3 great meals for the same price. Don't get me wrong, indulging in the Bay Area's world-class food scene is great - but perhaps for now I should keep my expenses down until I get a job.
Nevertheless, stay tuned - I will be getting back to the culinary roots of this blog very soon :)
No comments:
Post a Comment