You can easily distinguish which leaves I've cut tiny slivers of (the ones that are curling) and which ones I've left natural ... I guess my controlled leaf damaging is working. I'm aiming for a front that is low and curly with a high, upright background - two different layers. I can also see some flower buds appearing between the leaves. Surprisingly, these are also curling - especially on the bulbs whose "flesh" I've carved away, thus freeing them from pressure.
We have a sled! This cushioned saucer-style sled is now officially in our possession so we're ready for the next round of snow
Tonight I decided to make pakoras for dinner along with curry and rice. I used chickpea flour ("besan") along with some garam masala, turmeric, berbere (I didn't have paprika, so why not add the ethiopian chili powder instead?), and cumin to make the batter. It was really tasty, and we poured curry over the whole thing to serve over rice.
Zucchini spears and cilantro/onion/spinach pakoras
I finally got the "Indian Slow Cooker Cookbook" from the public library and can't wait to try a lot of the recipes out - especially all the dals. Going to make aloo gobi later this week ... maybe also try out some more Goan or south-Indian recipes as well. I swear I could eat Indian food every day - there are so many amazing vegetarian dishes and hundreds of spices.
Also tonight I made some matcha oatmeal cookies!
Matcha batter and old fashioned rolled oats ready to go in
Just 11 minutes in the oven, and voilĂ ... they taste like green tea ice cream - only, in oatmeal cookie form! Just how I like it ... barely sweet so the green tea shines through. Perfect with tea!
So while I've lived without TV for over a year now and don't miss it at all, I decided to buy some "rabbit ear" antennas for our little LCD screen. Why? Because they were only 10 dollars online, and because I absolutely love the idea of tapping into a free broadcasted signal, just like tuning into radio. After doing some research, I found out that High-Definition programming on the good ol' antennas is actually of higher quality than HD programming through cable or satellite. Why? Because cable and satellite have to compress their HD quality in order to provide the hundreds of channels they send over their limited wavelength. That should be arriving next Wednesday, so we'll have 6-10 channels (perhaps HD) for free! haha. Yay for PBS & NOVA documentaries.
Nothing much to report otherwise - my lack of picture updates has been due to two factors: 1) It's finals week and I've just been knocking the last of the semester out little by little, and 2) My other camera fell into the sink with water, so it was out of commission. I got the newer version of my camera which is a Fujifilm Finepix Z37, so we'll see how future pictures turn out. The pics above were taken with the new camera and the color/focus looks good so I'm satisfied.
Only a little more to go before the end of the semester. I will be totally done with my last class' final on Monday the 13th (hopefully keeping my streak of all A's through college!) ... looking forward to the break to catch up on a bunch of reading I've been meaning to do (especially all the tea books I've checked out from the library), and to the little trip up to Vancouver we'll be making in early January.





These cookies were so delicious!!! Thanks :)
ReplyDelete