Two weeks in on the Moroccan preserved lemons (two more weeks to go), and I decided to make some preserved limes in a similar fashion. Apparently there's a Vietnamese drink called Chanh muối which is preserved salty limes mixed with soda water and sugar to make a limeade of sorts ... I'm looking forward to trying it! Two more weeks until the lemons are ready to use ... maybe I will make a tajine with them?
So a while back I wrote about the blossom end rot happening on my tomatoes ... we pulled the two tomatoes off and cut them open just to check, and sure enough they were rotting at the bottom. As mentioned, it's caused due to lack of calcium in the soil (and irregular watering / lack of other nutrients). Since tomatoes are heavy feeders and they're growing in small containers with limited soil, I've been adding some worm tea concentrate - all natural "tea" made from worm compost. It's packed with nutrients. I've also been grinding up more eggshells into a very fine powder (using my pharmacy technician medication compounding skills, haha), and adding that to the water for the plants. With extra eggshell calcium and worm tea, the tomatoes look really healthy and even shinier than before, so that's a good sign
Ian got me a huckleberry cupcake as a treat from Cupcake Royale. It was great with my tea! Thanks buddy :)
Leaves outside the window on the tree are beginning to change color. This was last week ... now there's a few more red ones. It's only the start of September, but I'm excited for the cold weather !
Another beautifully clear night in Seattle from the roof deck





ooh, you guys have a great view!
ReplyDelete